Posted In: News
Kreepy Kartoonists Krash Keene NH!
With Heapin’ Halloween Helpings of Horror!
Help yourself to a slice of MONSTER PIE! Steve Bissette/Denis St. John’s collaboration cover art for Monster Pie #1, debuting this Saturday at Comic Boom! in Keene, NH! Artwork ©2012 Stephen R. Bissette and Denis St. John, all rights reserved; logo (below) is a trademark of Stephen R. Bissette and Denis St. John, all rights reserved.
This Saturday, Cartoonists Crash Comic Boom! in Keene, NH with a bountiful Halloween Harvest of Horrors!!!
- Here’s the details of this coming Saturday, October 27‘s Comic Boom! event, but that’s hardly all there is to share!
I ask that one and all share this info via social media as best as you can, but there’s so, so, so more than we can tell you about in just a few words…
* Comic Boom! is at 22 West St, Keene, NH—(603) 352-4261—and I’ll be joining Denis St. John, Bryan Stone, Sean Knickerbocker, Daniel Barlow and Colin Tedford of the Trees & Hills Comics Group, and fellow Center for Cartoon Studies cartoonists from 1 PM to 5 PM for an all-day signing/selling/sketching marathon, live and in person, as part of the incredible Comic Boom/CCS/SRB/Spooktacular event!
Here’s more on what’s in-store Saturday…
* I’ll be debuting the brand-new full-color signed-and-limited “The Alphabet of Zombies” print created by me, my son Daniel, and Oily Comics‘s Chuck Forsman! I’ll be offering it for sale for the first-time ever at a special “buy it here and now” Halloween Comic Boom pricing, and every copy has already been lovingly signed-and-numbered by all three of us.
- Here’s more details on this “An Alphabet of Zombies” full-color limited edition signed print (and if you can’t make it to Comic Boom!, rest assured you can order yours now—at full price—from the SpiderBaby Store, via this link).
I’ll also have other prints for sale, including Tyrant® in Slumberland and Freaks’ Amour, along with rare back issues of Taboo, SpiderBaby Comix, and more!
* Denis St. John and I have also cracked our skulls together to co-edit and launch two new zines: HORROR BOO!M (sneak peek at the Bissette/Totleben cover tops this post) and MONSTER PIE! More details here on Friday, including sneak-peeks at the contents…
Both will debut October 27th, exclusively at Comic Boom!
Take my word for it, Amelia is one of the most incredible horror comics of the decade—but, hell, don’t take my word for it, here’s what The Comics Journal‘s Rob Clough had to say when he read the final installment:
“With the publication of the fifth and final issue of Monsters and Girls: Amelia, Denis St. John finished one of the quirkier horror stories I’ve ever read….What makes them so enjoyable is St. John’s mixture of body horror, the humor of awkwardness, and sex. These comics are a love letter to many influences (including H.P. Lovecraft’s fiction and David Cronenberg‘s films), but the biggest influence seems to be the horror comics of EC. In particular, Jack Davis seems to be a big influence here…
…St. John‘s art is claustrophobic, rubbery, funny, moody and outrageously designed. The extras in these oversized minicomics are a nice bonus, including the photos of Amelia stand-in Jess Abston (a real trouper, given the design that’s drawn all over her) that turn into a full-blown fumetti at the end as well as nearly a dozen clever pin-ups…”
And as if that’s not enough, Denis will be bringing more Halloween-treats to Comic Boom!
Along with the hot-off-the-presses copies of our newly-spawned horrific zines Horror Boo!M and Monster Pie, Denis will be selling copies of our collaborative Klown from the Moon: A Killer Klown Survival Guide (In Verse)—which we premiered at Comic Boom! back in August, as some of you may recall—and his new Star Trek zine Strange New Worlds, featuring an article by yours truly (“I Sing the Body Prohaska,” dedicated to the Star Trek monsters) and art by Morgan Pielli, Colleen Frakes, Donna Almendrala, Holly Foltz, and of course Denis himself.
And that’s not all! Denis is also debuting an exclusive Halloween horrors full-color print:
- To find out more about Denis‘s work (or, if you can’t make it to Comic Boom!, to order copies of his work), click this link!
We’ll be joined by some of our favorite fear-flinging fellow cartoonists:
* Bryan Stone will be debuting two new minicomics, The Orb of Shalla and Beasts! Both look fantastic, and mark a whole new threshold in Bryan‘s always-excellent comics creations—come and check them out!
Bryan will also be carrying copies of Hush—cover by Bryan, color by Jeff Lok (below)—and more, and he contributed a horrific Halloween full-pager to Horror Boo!M.
* Sean Knickerbocker (sample page, below) is a fellow CCS Alumnus, veteran zinester, long-time Danger Park member/co-creator, Subterranean Comics co-founder/partner (with Alex Bullett, Andrew Greenstone, and Dan Morris), and more—and Sean will be raising hackles with his solo comic Rust, and his collaborative creations—and what Sean is working on is still top-secret, so I can’t blab about it yet—so you’ll just have to come and chat with Sean in person to see and find out what he and his cronies are up to this fall. I kid you not—it’s amazing stuff!
- Pop on over to Sean‘s blog/site to find out more,
- if you can’t make it Saturday, check out Sean‘s online store.
Sean will be there along with zine/publishing/comix partner Alex Bullett and a few other Center for Cartoon Studies, all of whom be making fall more colorful in the cozy confines of Comic Boom!
* Colin Tedford and Daniel Barlow of the Trees & Hills New England comics collective will have Trick or Treat Comics sets #1 & #2: small & spooky all-ages minicomics in single sets for your crypt library and multi-set packs for handing out to trick-or-treaters or Halloween party-goers!
Hint: I’ve already pre-ordered a hefty pack of these to give away on Halloween night to our home-town trick-or-treaters. These minicomics are suitable for wee ones and all ages, and make a perfect treat!
Along with their usual T&H community-oriented anthologies, some other seasonal goodies will be lurking on the T&H table, too, including:
For your Halloween reading pleasure, they”ll also have Corpses & Cupcakes #1 & #2 by Elizabeth Neronski—the story of a voodoo priestess who’s also a baker—and H.P. Comicraft by Radical Warren, which riffs on the stories of H.P. Lovecraft—but neither cartoonist will be visible!
It would shock no-one—but still give them chills—to find Daniel Barlow in person offering exquisite prints of his cemetery photography! Green Mountain Graveyard 4×4 prints bring spice to the event; Dan will have 20 new prints, each one different, at the bargain beastly price of $3 each.
If the spirits will it, Colin Tedford may debut his latest issue of Square Dance, featuring two Halloween stories plus the true story of a morris dancer who came back from the dead!
You can see more photos & etc. of some of the Trees & Hills comic offerings at
more of Dan‘s atmospheric, one-of-a-kind cemetery photos showcased at
and some of Colin‘s Square Dance #6 samples at
For those who can’t make it, I’d best let you in on these secret hiding locations:
- for more on H.P. Comicraft creator Chris “Radical” Warren, you need only click this link to find out more;
- for more on Corpses & Cupcakes creator Elizabeth Neronski, click this link;
- virtual Colin Tedford lurks in this online catacomb,
- which has most likely already been photographed by Dan Barlow, who’s hiding out in this online tomb.
Check ‘em all out, folks, online or live and in person!
And that’s not all!
SEE & WIN! We’ve created all-new ORIGINAL ART and SIGNED PRINTS by S.R. Bissette, Denis St. John, and other CCS, Trees & Hills, and area cartoonists—especially for TWO raffles on Saturday, October 27th ONLY at both COMIC BOOM and the SATURDAY FRIGHT SPECIAL SPOOKTACULAR (different raffles, different art/prints to win!)!!!
SEE & BUY! Our comix, our prints, our artwork, and more—including S.R. Bissette‘s back-from-the-dead resurrection and return to American mainstream comics with the Halloween issue of SPONGEBOB COMICS #13 (happily signed to you or your loved or loathed ones—the ideal Halloween or Christmas gift for this year)!!! Comic Boom will be selling copies of Spongebob Comics #13—featuring my latest brand-new published American mainstream comics work (the first since 1999!)—and Swamp Thing hardcovers, trade paperbacks, and comics which I’ll sign, sketch in, and personalize at no extra charge for you!
ALL THIS AND MORE is coming to KEENE, NH on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27th! JOIN US!!
And, as if that’s not enough—we’ll also be savoring the evening’s Saturday Fright Special Spooktacular right around the corner at the Colonial Theater Saturday night!
We’ve all donated signed original sketch art, prints, comics, and goodies to the Spooktacular raffle—doubling your chances of winning something incredible on Saturday!
And best of all is the Halloween special feature, one of my all-time favorite portmanteau horror movies—director Freddie Francis‘s 1972 Amicus adaptation of the classic Pre-Code EC horror comic, Tales from the Crypt, in a fully-restored (original UK cut) 35mm print on the fully-restored Colonial Theater big scream screen!!!
That’s right—this year’s October Spooktacular is the original 1972 Tales from the Crypt, uncut and in all its restored 35mm big-screen gory glory!
It’s the greatest Comic Boom/CCS/SRB/Spooktacular Event YET—maybe the greatest EVER! DON’T MISS IT!
Please note: The previously announced S.R. Bissette Pre-Code horror comics LECTURE at 4 PM has been cancelled. I’ll be at Comic Boom! until 5 PM, folks!
Honestly, I don’t know what more we could do to make this event more special—save somehow supernaturally teleport all of you to Keene, NH for the day!
All cover art and interior artwork ©respective creators, respective years of original creation/publication and ©2012, all rights reserved.